Sunday 10 January 2016

Healthy food diary- Week one.

One of my New Year goals (as well as everyone else on the planet) is to eat better and work out more so this is a little follow up. I love all kinds of food- good and bad, but I just need to be a little more mindful sometimes. Less cake and more fruit maybe?!

I set myself a goal to have a strict(ish) diet in the week and relax at the weekend and treat myself/eat what I want. 

So here is a little run down of what I've been cooking and eating this week. FYI I don't claim to know anything about health or fitness, this is just something I'm doing for myself to see how well I do and if I can achieve the goals I've set for myself, it might not necessarily work for you. 


Breakfast

For breakfast it's basically poached eggs on (seeded batch) toast with ham and spinach. I've battled for ages trying to perfect my poached eggs but I have accepted that I will never get them right and that these taste exactly the same. Sprinkled with some black pepper and I wash them down with my detox skinny herb tea available here



Lunch 

For lunch I've been having chicken tikka flatbreads with salad and yoghurt and mint sauce. Serious yums! 



Another option I've been having is a king prawn and avocado salad. I'm not a big fan of avocado, I think it's the texture but it's very good for you so it's important for me to put those silly issues aside and just eat it. All of my salads are mainly spinach based, I don't really use lettuce anymore, I just like to add spinach wherever possible.. Just call me Popeye.. Or don't, whatever! 


Prawns are cooked in oil, garlic, a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of chilli flakes. 

Tea/dinner 

For tea/dinner whatever you prefer to call it, I like to eat at around 4-5pm no later than 5 if possible depending on what kind of evening I'm having with the boys. Monday I don't think I ate until 8ish and that was a big bowl of carbalicious pasta so we won't count Monday in all of this ;) 


Seabass on a bed of (get me "on a bed of" ha!) Tilda brown quinoa rice which had been mixed with red onion, peppers and garlic with a side of broccoli. Seabass cooked in garlic and oil, I sometimes use Lucy bee coconut oil if I have any, and again a sprinkle of chilli flakes, squeeze of lemon and seasoned with black pepper. This takes all of ten minutes in total and is really tasty. 


Steak and sweet potato fries with salad. The fries are so easy. I slice them, place them on a baking tray, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil, black pepper and a bit of salt and rub around make sure all fries are covered and cook for about 30-45 mins as I like mine crispy. Just Incase you didn't know how to make them, there you go easy peasy.



Chicken and cous cous salad. The salad is the usual spinach, cucumber, onion, peppers, tomatoes and avocado. 


And the chicken is drizzled in extra virgin olive oil (not too much) and sprinkled with everyday seasoning from the Flavour Gods, all mixed together in a bowl and then put in a halogen oven for approx 30mins and you're done. Place cous cous on top of the salad followed by chicken breasts and et voila!

I've also been drinking this innocent smoothie (because I'm too lazy to make my own) 


Pomegranate and blueberries because my skin is not good ATM, blame it on excessive chocolate and cheese eating over the festive period and I read pomegranate juice and blueberries are good for the skin, and also water which I drink by the gallon anyway, so I'm hoping this will help too. 

So that's it for the food.  

Excercise 

I've decided to give Pilates a try. I've gone for Darcey Bussells DVD (get it here) and am really enjoying. It's calm and relaxing yet effective  which is my kind of excercise. 
I'm going to aim for doing it 3 times a week and on other days I will try and fit in a long walk as there's nothing more refreshing than a long walk on a sunny winters day- just hoping the walk won't take me near to any cake shops ;) 

So that's about it. Hope I haven't bored you too much. Fashion posts will resume shortly ;) 

Thanks for reading! 

Jo x














No comments:

Post a Comment